Friday, June 25, 2010

SUICIDE GIRLS MUST DIE!

The premise of SUICIDE GIRLS MUST DIE! (2010) is that a dozen models for the Suicide Girls website are driven to a lodge in the Maine woods for a calendar photo shoot and hidden camera webcast. Once there, some of the girls start disappearing, leading the remaining tattooed and pierced young women to begin fearing that someone is stalking them and perhaps killing them.

The producers call it a "reality horror film." The audience is expected to believe that the entire thing is unscripted and that the girls are completely unaware of what's going on, so that as they get more and more frightened, we will feel the horror that they are experiencing.

Thing is, personally, I didn't believe it for a minute. It didn't help that I found the titular Suicide Girls to be - without exception - unlikable, unpleasant and offensively self absorbed. To be fair - maybe I'm just too prejudiced; I'm writing this review while sitting in my home office in the middle of rural Maine, and the girls' disdain and contempt for my state and its inhabitants really got on my nerves. Or maybe it's just that the entire project was just too mean-spirited for me. I love horror movies, but this thing really wasn't one. It was either an extraordinarily cruel prank on a group of young women astoundingly ill-equipped to deal with it - or a poorly-constructed fictional narrative that reveled in demeaning and humiliating its characters.

I'm betting on the latter.

Anyway, clearly I wasn't the audience for this "movie." If you're a fan of the Suicide Girls models or so-called "reality" television (of which I clearly am not), then maybe you can suspend your disbelief sufficiently to enjoy SUICIDE GIRLS MUST DIE! There is a fair amount of nudity and drunken girl-on-girl necking, so at least it's got that going for it.

The Unrated DVD from First Look Studios presents the movie in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen. Picture quality varies from shot-to-shot as much of it was shot on lipstick cameras and various other digital video camcorders. Audio is 5.1 Digital Surround. Supplemental features include a photo gallery, trailers, and confession video footage from the model named "Rigel."

Not my thing. Your mileage may vary.

BUY: SuicideGirls Must Die! (Unrated)